The Benefits of Nutritional Yeast
I can honestly say that I do not miss milk AT ALL. It actually grosses me out now when I smell it, but I do on occasion miss cheese. And lets be honest, some things like pizza just need cheese.
So let me introduce something that I recently discovered... Nutritional Yeast. It actually is nothing new and has been around forever but to me this is completely new and awesome. When added to food it has a yummy cheesy/slightly nutty taste that will blow you non cheese eaters away. Even if you do like cheese but just want to cut back on calories or make your meals just a little healthier this is for you.
So what exactly is nutritional yeast?
Nutritional Yeast is a deactivated yeast (not to be confused with Brewer's yeast, which has a completely different taste and purpose). Nutritional yeast is a living microorganism grown on sugarcane and beet molasses. When the yeast is ready, it is killed (deactivated) with heat and then harvested, washed, dried and packaged.
Nutritional yeast benefits:
- Has 6 grams of protein in just 2 tbs
- Great source of minerals
- Great cheesy taste
- Gluten free
- Salt free
- A great source of Vitamin B12 and Folic Acid
Check your local health food store. That is where I purchase mine. Some health food stores also carry it in bulk. You can also purchase it online here.
10 ways to use it:
- Sprinkle it on top of vegetables or cauliflower poppers before you pop them in the oven
- Sprinkle it on top of popcorn. This is beyond delicious!
- Skip the cheese and use this on top of low carb pizza.
- Add it to baked thyme onion rings.
- Use it in skinny mashed potatoes.
- Sprinkle it on top of kale chips for the ultimate "cheesy" snack.
- Add it to skinny spaghetti.
- Use it in a creamed spinach recipe.
- Add it to soups.
- Use it to make cheesy crispy green bean fries.