Glamourous Landmarks

Living, visiting or working in New York City many of us are unaware of the history that surrounds us.  It's easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle that is NYC.  It has been facinating to learn the provenance of these glamourous building.  Not only are the buildings beautiful; you can also be somewhat of a tour guide on your next jaunt thru the Big Apple.  Here are just a few of our favorites. 

The American Standard Building is a landmark skyscraper built in 1924 in the Gothic Art Deco style & located at 40 West 40th Street, in midtown Manhattan, New York City.  In 1998, the building was sold to Philip Pilevsky for $150 million.  In 2001 the American Standard Building was converted into The Bryant Park Hotel with 130 rooms and a theatre in the basement. 
Pinned Image
The Plaza Hotel is a French Renaissance château-style building designed by Henry Janeway Hardenbergh (who also designed the historic Fort Garry Hotel in Winnipeg) and opened to the public on October 1, 1907. At the time, it cost $12.5 million to construct. When the hotel opened, a room at the Plaza Hotel was only $2.50 per night (equivalent of $62 today). Today, the same room costs from $695 upwards.
plaza hotel



The Gracie Mansion is the official residence of the mayor of the City of New York. Built in 1799, it is located in Carl Schurz Park, at East End Avenue and Eighty-eighth Street in Manhattan. The mansion is on the shore of the East River, overlooking the channel known as Hell Gate.A different building on approximately the same site was commandeered by George Washington during the American Revolutionary War, as it strategically overlooked Hell Gate. That building was called Belview Mansion and was the country residence of Jacob Walton, a New York merchant. The British destroyed this house during that war.
Archibald Gracie then built another building, what is now known as Gracie Mansion, on the site in 1799, and used it as a country home until 1823, when he had to sell it to pay debts. In the fall of 1801, Gracie hosted a meeting there of New York Federalists, called by Alexander Hamilton, to raise $10,000 for starting a newspaper, the New York Evening Post, which eventually became the New York Post.

.Gracie Mansion, NYC
The William K. Vanderbilt House, also known as the Petit Chateau, was a Châteauesque mansion at 660 Fifth Avenue on the Upper East Side in New York City. It was next door to the twin mansion of William Henry Vanderbilt, which occupied the entire block between 51st and 52nd streets on the west side of Fifth Avenue.The mansion was built for William Kissam Vanderbilt, son of William Henry Vanderbilt, and Alva Vanderbilt from 1878 to 1882. Determined to make her mark in New York society, Alva Vanderbilt worked with the architect, Richard Morris Hunt, to create the French Renaissance-style chateau. Her renowned fancy-dress ball, held here in March 1883 and attended by a thousand people, drew a large amount of public attention.The structure, which was a reflection of Alva's love of all things French, was the first of the chateau style mansions in New York City and served as inspiration for many later designs throughout the country by Hunt and others.
It was sold to a real-estate developer in 1926. It was then demolished and replaced by a commercial building. In a draft of her memoirs, Alva, then Mrs. Belmont, merely noted the demolition in passing. The site is currently occupied by an office building known as 666 Fifth Avenue.





The William K. Vanderbilt House (Petit Chateau) on the northwest corner of 52nd Street and Fifth Avenue in 1886.
1878

2012

Comments

Popular Posts